Saturday, January 31, 2009

An A-Maze-Ing Day

Enough with the heavy metaphors, lets get down to the important stuff...what I did today in the maze.


Today was a good day in the maze. The weather was beautiful, and I took full advantage of it by getting myself going with Zumba in the morning and then heading out for a walk and a subsequent nice long hike in Upper Park.

I went further than I have ever gone before, (the trail seems to go on forever) and before I turned back, I sat on a rock and meditated about what felt so good about being out there. I struggled at first (okay, for a while) with keeping my thoughts from rampaging through my head noisily, as they often do, stomping around and running amok, making lists and plans and obsessing over drama at work, before I was able to calm down enough to pinpoint what drew me to this place. Once the cacophony subsided, and I was able to focus, I decided that it was the perfection that drew me here, the feeling that everything was "just right".

In a life where everything seems like it could use improvement, like someone always has something bigger, better or newer than I do, it was refreshing to find a place where everything was perfect just as it was, where all the trees, rocks and overgrown grasses seemed like they were intentionally set down by God in just the right place, just where they were meant to be. It felt good, so good, to sit for a moment and stop striving, stop trying to improve something, and to just feel for the tiniest second like by virtue of being in proximity to such a beautiful place, that I too, was, finally just right.

That's a big thing for me right now (huge, really,but I don't' want to seem dramatic) and I am thankful for the experience.

2 comments:

  1. Well how about that! Nice blog! I look forward to reading many more thoughts on life and cheese. I love cheese, as you know. And as always, I must compliment you- you are a great writer, so keep it up!!!

    -JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't know what I would do without your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete